Sunday, September 21, 2008

Nervous Ned goes Independent on us

Rick and I were bugging the kids all day today to get out and play in the beautiful weather. This is the one of the two months a year the weather is gorgeous in Sacramento (the other month occurring sometime in Spring). They spent most of the day playing computer games and pretending things inside the house.

The kids finally went out and played a little basketball around 3:30.

Then at 4:30. Ken declared that he was going to go on a bike ride by himself! Rick looks at me. I look at Rick. We both know that we were off riding our bikes for hours at a time at seven years old. ... but in this day and age, should we let our baby boy out on a bike by himself?

I say, "Ok." Rick is as apprehensive as I am. I loaded up the 2-way radios with batteries so Ken could keep in touch with us. Rick called our neighbor where Ken's would be riding to (Our neighbor's daughter did the same thing and rode to our house when she was 7). He would be riding a total of 1.25 miles (there and back). Rick even made him wear a whistle around his neck to blow if the radios didn't work.

... and off he went. Now, I thought for sure Mr. Nervous-Ned-I-Hate-Anything-New (aka KEN) would get five houses down the street and turn around - but nope. He checked in with us when he had gotten around the big curve in our street and checked in a second time when he got to his destination.

You should've seen Rick and I standing in the middle of our street - just waiting for Ken. Like being in the middle of the street somehow made us closer and more able to help him... but independence must be gained by oneself.

Now, don't think we're going to make this a habit. Cause I'm not really ok with it... but I had to let Ken sprout some little wings.

Ken was all grins when he got home. Katie was still in shock that Ken did that. She won't even stay home by herself for five minutes. I am sure she'll be sprouting wings before we know it too.

No comments: